This was the perfect rainy Monday for baking. Clover made so many gingerbread cookies, and they took all afternoon to mix, chill, roll out, and bake. Yum!
* 1/2 C organic butter, softened
* 1 C brown sugar
* 1 C molasses
* 1/2 C maple syrup
* 2/3 C water
* 6 and 1/2 C organic unbleached flour
* 2 tsp. baking soda
* 2 tsp. salt
* 2 tsp. ground ginger
* 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
* 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1. Beat the butter and sugar together. Slowly add molasses and maple syrup & beat until blended. Add water & mix.
2. In another bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices.
3. Beat dry ingredients into wet ingredients until the dough sticks together and holds in a "ball" shape.
4. Wrap the dough in wax paper & refrigerate for a few hours.
5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and butter two baking sheets.
6. Lightly flour a board and roll out the dough. Cut out the cookies & put them on the baking sheets. Clover decorated her gingerbread people with raisin eyes, dried cranberry mouths, and chocolate chip buttons down the front.
7. Bake for about 10 minutes until lightly brown.
8. Cool on wire racks before eating.