After much deliberation, Indigo made the decision to have a meringue Monday, specifically an orange cream meringue Monday. Clover took this picture of us while Indigo was adding sugar and I was beating egg whites. This recipe appealed to him mostly because Clover told him that there was lots of beater usage involved. The highlight of cookie-making for him is using an electronic device. His little arm got tired about halfway through, though, and I had to help.
To make meringues, you're going to need:
* 3 organic egg whites
* 3/4 C organic sugar
* 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
* 1/8 tsp. vanilla extract
* 1/8 tsp. orange extract
(you can use whatever kind of extract you want - just use 1/4 tsp. all together)
1. Line a couple of cookie sheets with unbleached wax paper or a chopped up brown paper bag (either works).
2. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
3. Carefully separate your *room temperature* eggs & reserve the egg whites.
4. In a large bowl, whip the egg whites until soft peaks form.
5. Add sugar a Tablespoon at a time. It really helps to have a helper for this step!
6. Add cream of tartar and extract(s).
7. Keep on beating until stiff peaks form (patience!).
8. Spoon meringue onto the wax paper by the tablespoonful.
9. Bake for about an hour, turn the oven off, and let sit in the oven (without opening it!) for ten more minutes.
10. Let cool completely.